HUD Announces Disaster Assistance for Florida

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has announced federal disaster relief for Florida to aid state, tribal, and local recovery efforts after Hurricane Ian.

According to a press release, effective immediately, HUD offers a 90-day deferral of FHA insured mortgage reservations as well as mortgage reservations for Native American borrowers secured under Section 184 of the Indian Home Loan Guarantee Program.

There is also a 90-day extension that is automatically granted for home transfer mortgages. The moratorium and extension are effective from the date the President declares the disaster.

The statement said homeowners affected by the disaster should contact a mortgage or loan officer immediately for assistance. Conventional mortgage holders may also be eligible for additional relief through mortgage holders.

Call the FHA Resource Center at 1-800-304-9320 for additional information. To learn more about disaster relief options for FHA homeowners visit FHA Disaster Relief Website.

  • Availability of Mortgage Insurance When homes are destroyed or damaged to the extent that full reconstruction or replacement is required, HUD’s Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims. Borrowers who are FHA approved participating lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing including closing costs.
  • Sharing information about housing providers and HUD programs Information will be shared with FEMA and the state about housing providers who may have units available in affected counties, including public housing agencies and multifamily owners. The department will also connect FEMA and the state with subject matter experts to provide information about HUD programs and their providers.
  • Provide flexibility for community planning and development grants – recipients of the Community Development Grant Program (CDBG), Housing Opportunities Program for People with HIV/AIDS (HOPWA), Continuing Care Program (CoC), Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG), Home Can Funds Program and Housing Trust Fund (HTF) Program Apply for the necessary administrative flexibility in response to natural disasters. For more information about applying for a program requirement exemption or suspension, contact the Community Planning and Development Program Office over here.
  • Provide Flexibility to Public Housing Agencies Public housing agencies can apply for waivers and flexibility for disaster relief and recovery. For detailed information on applying for a waiver, Click here for the latest Federal Register Disaster Relief Notice guidance. The administration also issued a PIH Notice 2021-34, which advises the public on the HUD accelerated process for exemptions and flexibility from HUD regulatory and administrative requirements for various public housing and voucher programs. As a reminder, to be eligible to receive a disaster waiver, the PHA must be located in an active, presidentially declared major disaster declaration area and filed within four months of the MDD.
  • Ensure that HUD-certified housing advisory agencies are ready to assist HUD-certified housing advisory agencies have advisors available to assist those affected by natural disasters to determine assistance needs and available resources. You find HUD Accredited Housing Consulting Agency online or use our phone search tool by calling (800) 569-4287 and includes access to information in over 200 different languages. You do not have to obtain an FHA insured mortgage to meet with a HUD-approved housing advisory agency. There is no fee for foreclosure counseling.
  • Housing discrimination assistance – Housing discrimination sometimes occurs when people try to find and access housing after a disaster. The HUD Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity is available to assist people who believe they have experienced housing discrimination. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should file a fair housing complaint with HUD. You can file a complaint by calling HUD at 1-800-669-9777 or visiting How to file a complaint on HUD. Materials and assistance are available for people with limited English proficiency. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing can contact the department using the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339. You should file a complaint with HUD as soon as possible. HUD may not help you if your complaint was filed more than a year after the last discriminatory action. You may also be able to file a complaint with a state or local fair housing agency. A list of local and local HUD-funded fair housing agencies is available on the HUD website over here.

All 67 counties along with the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida and Seminole Tribe of Florida are eligible for debris removal, public assistance, and direct federal assistance, at 100% of total costs for 30 days. At the state level, federal funding is available to mitigate risk on a cost-sharing basis.

Leave a Comment